Inventory Unit Detail
2009 Yamaha V-MAX - VMX17
The VMAX has always been the muscle bike to end all other muscle bikes. Commanding respect, triggering fear. Now, the all-new 2009 VMAX. Re-thought, reloaded, with a major chip on its shoulder. The 2009 VMAX - We didn't just improve a legend; we started a whole new one.
- All-New for 2009 - The long-awaited ultimate power cruiser delivers unmatched performance from its all-new 65-degree, four-valves-per-cylinder, 1679cc V4—plenty of eye-opening, controllable acceleration from a compact engine that looks as powerful as it is.
- Downdraft four-bore fuel injection with YCC-I intake technology and YCC-T fly-by-wire throttle provide awesome acceleration throughout the broad powerband.
- Lightweight aluminum chassis puts the engine low and forward for mass centralization, resulting in a machine designed to handle curves as well as straightaways.
- Borrowing liberally from advanced sportbike technology, VMAX features a slipper clutch, wave-style brake discs with ABS and Brembo® master cylinders and complete suspension adjustability front and rear.
- A new-generation V4: The thunderous 1679cc, 65-degree, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected four-valves-per-cylinder, DOHC engine pumps out astonishing power to reinvent the VMAX legend.
- The sportbike-proven Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) switches nearly instantaneously between 150mm and 54mm intake funnels as needed for a broad powerband that delivers optimum performance at any rpm.
- Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), the fly-by-wire system, delivers flawless response every time the rider twists the throttle.
- Engine combines four-valve technology with a high 11.3:1 compression ratio, forged aluminum pistons and NGK® Iridium spark plugs with R1-type direct ignition coils to extract maximum horsepower from the fuel charge.
- Cams are driven by a combined chain and gear system to precisely control valves while keeping cylinder heads remarkably compact for such a large displacement engine.
- Hydraulically activated clutch includes racetrack-proven ramp-type slipper clutch system that makes braking from speed while downshifting smoother.
- Five-speed transmission has superbly spaced gear ratios to take full advantage of the engine's awesome power in straight-line acceleration or through the canyons.
- Delivering this power cruiser's muscle to the street means a beefy shaft drive just like its predecessor. Special shaft design includes two cross joints to accommodate the fat 200/50 R18 rear tire.
- The high-performance engine is cooled by two radiators for efficiency and clean looks. Lubrication is via a simple, reliable wet sump system.
- Four-into-one-into-two-into-four exhaust system with EXUP (Exhaust Ultimate Power valve) delivers a broad, seamless powerband with the right VMAX look.
- The iconic VMAX aluminum intake covers are hand buffed by craftsmen for superb quality and individuality.
- The newly designed chassis is light and compact, with a cast aluminum main frame, CF die-cast and extruded aluminum rear frame and cast aluminum swingarm. The result is superb rigidity balance for both hard acceleration off the line and corner carving.
- Cartridge-damper-type front forks have substantial 52mm inner tubes with oxidized titanium coating. Forks have both compression and rebound damping adjustability plus spring preload.
- Link-type Monocross® rear suspension has a piggyback reservoir and features compression and rebound clickers, plus remote preload adjustment.
- VMAX uses Brembo®-designed master cylinders, the front with radial pump and reserve tank. Large 320mm wave-style dual front discs are matched to radial-mounted mono block 6-piston calipers. On the rear wheel, there's a 298mm disc, also wave design, and single-piston caliper. These high-tech brakes also incorporate three-position ABS.
- Tapered handlebar provides a muscular 1-1/8” diameter look at the triple clamp while using conventionally sized controls.
- Newly designed 18-inch radial tires, 120/70 R18 front and 200/50 R18 rear, are mounted on cast aluminum five-spoke wheels.
- For mass centralization that contributes to the bike's lean looks, the 4 gallon (15-liter) fuel tank is mounted under the seat, with the filler under the rider's backrest. Tank is constructed of fluorinated polyethylene with superb permeability resistance.
- The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) uses three microprocessors to control fuel injection, ignition, YCC-T, YCC-I, meters and other electrical components.
- The instrument panel includes an analog, step-motor driven tachometer and digital speedometer with LED indicator lights. Prominent LED shift timing indicator adds to the performance character of the new VMAX.
- Organic electro luminescence multi-function display provides a more precise display vs. LCD and includes clock, fuel meter, trip meter with fuel reserve trip meter, transmission gear position, coolant temperature, stopwatch and more.
- Distinctive key design reinforces the unique character of this new VMAX.
- H4 60/55W headlight provides excellent visibility and distinctive style, while the trick-looking LED taillight is light, bright and highly efficient.
- Rare earth magnet AC magneto puts out a robust 420W at 5000 rpm.
- Engine Type: 1679cc liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 90.0mm x 66.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Ignition: TCI
- Transmission: 5-speed, multiplate slipper clutch
- Final Drive: Shaft
- Suspension/Front: 52mm telescopic cartridge fork w/oxidized titanium coating. Fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound; 4.7 in travel
- Suspension/Rear: Single shock w/remote reservoir and remote adjustable for preload, compression and rebound
- Brakes/Front: Dual 320mm wave-type discs; radial mount 6-piston calipers, Brembo® radial pump master cylinder
- Brakes/Rear: 298mm wave-type disc, single-piston caliper and Brembo® master cylinder
- Tires/Front: Bridgestone® Radial 120/70-R18 59V
- Tires/Rear: Bridgestone® Radial 200/50-R18 76V
- Length: 94.3 in
- Width: 32.3 in
- Height: 6.8 in
- Seat Height: 30.5 in
- Wheelbase: 66.9 in
- Rake (Caster Angle) : 31.0 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.0 gal
- Fuel Economy: Spec currently not available
- Wet WeighT: 683 lb / 685 lb (CA model)
- Engine Type
- 1679cc liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
- Bore and Stroke
- 90.0mm x 66.0mm
- 1679cc liquid-cooled 65° V-4
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Front Suspension
- 52mm telescopic cartridge fork w/oxidized titanium coating. Fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound; 4.7 in travel
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock w/remote reservoir and remote adjustable for preload, compression and rebound
- Front Brakes
- Dual 320mm wave-type discs; radial mount 6-piston calipers, Brembo® radial pump master cylinder
- Rear Brakes
- 298mm wave-type disc, single-piston caliper and Brembo® master cylinder
- Front Tire
- Bridgestone® Radial 120/70-R18 59V
- Rear Tire
- Bridgestone® Radial 200/50-R18 76V
- 66.9 in
- Seat Height
- 30.5 in
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.0 gal
- Spec currently not available
- Dry Weight
- 683 lb / 685 lb (CA model)
- 5-speed, multiplate slipper clutch
- Final Drive
- Intense Black